The Sharkasm Empire

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sharkasm Empire

The Sharkasm Empire is a wonderful community brought to you by the Sharks of Sharkasm

Top posting users this month

No user

Latest topics

» Food Food Food
King of All Ratings Thread EmptyWed 10 Jan 2024, 3:34 pm by TheCryptKeeper

» "It's the door..... To the light" - The Social Thread v 2.0
King of All Ratings Thread EmptyWed 10 Jan 2024, 3:29 pm by TheCryptKeeper

» Diary of a Mac Student
King of All Ratings Thread EmptyTue 25 Apr 2023, 2:41 pm by TheCryptKeeper

» Arcasia: Legend of the Wolfram Emerald
King of All Ratings Thread EmptyTue 25 Apr 2023, 11:56 am by lil' poopie boy

» Le Cinéma
King of All Ratings Thread EmptyThu 20 Apr 2023, 11:08 am by TheCryptKeeper

» Ideas
King of All Ratings Thread EmptySat 15 Apr 2023, 8:49 am by lil' poopie boy

» Musique Lystoux
King of All Ratings Thread EmptyFri 14 Apr 2023, 8:59 am by TheCryptKeeper

» Through Shady Lanes
King of All Ratings Thread EmptyThu 13 Apr 2023, 8:26 pm by lil' poopie boy

» King of All Ratings Thread
King of All Ratings Thread EmptyThu 13 Apr 2023, 5:36 pm by TheCryptKeeper

» Where's The Beats!?
King of All Ratings Thread EmptyMon 21 Aug 2017, 7:42 pm by Italyins

+3
Italyins
Cephalo the Pod
TheCryptKeeper
7 posters

King of All Ratings Thread

TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

King of All Ratings Thread Empty King of All Ratings Thread

Post by TheCryptKeeper Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:08 am

This thread has been created with the intent to supply all of us insight into what others have experienced and wish to put forth an opinion on. First, I'll explain: Every time we experience something new (be it a new game, movie, tv show, album, book) we can come to this thread and post a rating (out of 10, 0.1 scale) on it based on our opinion. You could also write a short review, what you didn't like, what you did. Of course, these would have to be spoiler free.
    Then, all of our number ratings will be archived into this OP, for easy access.

RATINGS

Kason
    Games
    Fable 2: 8.5
    Fable 3: 7.8

Music
    My Beautiful Dark, Twisted Fantasy: 9.5
    The Chronic: 4.8
    Joyful Rebellion: 7.8
    Random Access Memories: 8.4
    Weezer (The White Album): 8.0
    The Divine Feminine: 7.9
    The Uplift Mofo Party Plan: 5.8
    Can't Buy a Thrill: 8.5

Movies
    JUNO: 7.6
    Magnificent Seven: 7.0
    Dr. Strange: 6.4
    Moana: 7.2

Shows
    Mr. Robot: 7.3

Books
    The Fountainhead: 9.0
    1984: 6.6
    Great Expectations: 9.2

lil' poopie boy
    Games
    Uncharted 3: 8.9
    Team Fortress 2: 8.6
    DotA 2: 7.5

Movies
    Leon: The Professional: 8.3
    Die Hard: 8.4
    Despicable Me: 8.0
    Back to the Future: 8.4
    Looper: 7.5

Books
    Animal Farm: 8.3

Italyins
    Games
    Dark Souls: 8.0
    Far Cry 3: 7.0

Movies
    Mongol: 7.5
    Tree of Life: 2.0
    Killer Joe: 5.0
    Junk Boy: 0.0
    A Good Day To Die Hard: 5.0
    Chernobyl Diaries: 1.0
    They Live: 7.0
    Bronson: 7.0
    Police Story: 7.0
    Werewolf: 7.0
    Unforgiven: 8.0

Music
    Powerslave: 9.0

Vyzor
    Games
    Kid Icarus: Uprising: 7.8
    Ocarina of Time 3D: Master Quest: 9.0
    WARHAMMER: End Times - Vermintide: 7.2
    Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword: 4.7

Movies
    The Hobbit 2: 6.0

Cephalo the Pod
    Web Comics
    It's Walky!: 8.0

Web Novellas
    Worm: 10.0

Alpha Delfa
    Movies
    Manchester by the Sea: 8.8

Last edited by kason.de.wisp on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 3:07 pm; edited 36 times in total
    Cephalo the Pod
    Cephalo the Pod
    Charles Babbage

King of All Ratings Thread Empty Huh.

Post by Cephalo the Pod Tue 28 Aug 2012, 11:29 am

I've decided I like this thread. I odn't know how useful I'll be in ratings, but I'll give it a shot.
    Italyins
    Italyins
    Small Time Chawmpy Hunter

King of All Ratings Thread Empty Re: King of All Ratings Thread

Post by Italyins Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:13 pm

Nice idea, looks like a good thread to me. I give it a 9 out of 10 for creativity, And lack of carpet textured Condoms. But I can't give it a ten because I didn't make it.
    lil' poopie boy
    lil' poopie boy
    High Maester of Verra

Post by lil' poopie boy Wed 29 Aug 2012, 1:49 pm

I beat Uncharted 3 this morning, and boy it was great.

So heres my quick review, no spoilers.

I really liked it. It does everything Uncharted 2 does, and sometimes it even does it better than 2. However, with this Uncharted 2 also does several things better than 3 does them too.

Uncharted 3's story starts off at a run and never stops. This game is exciting the entire way through and even has an intriguing story that wasn't altogether predictable or anything.

In terms of presentation, this game is the pinnacle. For starters, its tutorial is the most seamlessly integrated tutorial I've ever experienced. The tutorial is basically a big quicktime event with no game breaking and with relevance to the scenario. The visuals are gorgeous, and I mean freaking beautiful, as well the shenanigans of the game are totally unexpected! Like if you're trapped in a desert city, blowing up a wall with a rocket launcher is not out of the question! This game is often said to feel like a movie, and lemme tell you, cinematically this game is the best.

Gameplay is great, the shooting and cover system are awesome and frankly make me think 3rd person may be better than 1st, it is can be like that. The melee fighting is awesome! "I bet you could through that guy through the window." I COULD. The guns are magnificent, theres a shit ton and their not generic! Sniping pistols and maggys... I'm happy! However, here is also where I feel has a slight problem. The climbing and jumping stuff is kinda... boring sometimes, like when you're not being shot at or racing against a falling building/vehicle/etc, its a tad bit of a boring moment in contrast to the rollercoaster pace of the rest of the game.

Sound is perfect. Yes rob, PERFECT. Voice acting: flawless. Soundtrack: fits every environment and scenario PERFECTLY. Sound Effects and Ambiance: really give this game some life. and the dialogue... possibly the single best part about this game, is amazing. so well written and it has SO MUCH PERSONALITY.

Final Score: 9.3/10

Last edited by Sauxuas on Thu 31 Jan 2013, 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Wed 29 Aug 2012, 2:09 pm

Fable 2:

The Fable series is as fresh and inviting as a game of this genre can be. While others of its class resort to generic fantasy stereotypes and mindless game play, these games present new ways to fight, explore, and tell a story.

The only thing that precedes the innovative gameplay of Fable 2 is its depth. Story and world-wise the game is boasting with layers of meaning and intelligence. This game possibly does better than any other I've played at successfully intertwining their theme and message with symbols, game mechanics, and characters. The plot for most of the time has direction, there are only a few moments where I find the objectives of certain quests a little aimless. However, the game comes full circle in the end tying together all the bits and pieces.

As I said, the gameplay is nothing less than innovative. I expected generic hack and slash controls but the layout is extremely simple, and it's a good thing. Starting off, the gameplay is fast enough to get you addicted, and easy enough to get the hold of things, but as the game progresses more mechanics are introduced into the combat, so that the experience never gets dry.

There are many many things I could go off about, but I'll cut myself off here before you all get bored. Great game. Limited downsides.

Final Score: 8.9

Italyins
    Italyins

Post by Italyins Wed 05 Sep 2012, 8:50 pm

Dark Souls

I know i beat this a while ago (almost 2 months) but i havent been playing anything new lately so i might as well.

Story: The story is pretty simple, you are an undead marked with a darksighn that sends you to the realm of cinder. You are told that you are the chosen undead and that you should fix the mess that cinder has become. Its simplistic without being stupid, and leaves much of the story to the characters choice without resorting to a good, and evil morality mechanic. It has a very rich loar but I thought it could have been flushed out a little more.

Game-play: Dark souls isn't afraid to kick you right in the balls, and then light you on fire. And by that I mean that this game is very hard, as Hayden, Duncan, Stephen, and Tyler can also back me up on. The gameplay is focused around a simple to use hard to master combat system. You can either be up close, and personal, a magic user, an archer, stealthy, a healer, or any combination of the multiple classes. Mostly hacking and slashing, but much slower due to multiple forms of technique that you will need to use. The enimies will need to be stabbed, slashed, bashed, punched, burned, blocked, and parried if you want to make your way to the games end. You can expect about 60-100 hours on your first run though, and at least half of that for your first new game plus. That being based on how grind happy you are because there is a leveling system involved. The enemies wont level up any higher than when you first meet them in there area. Meaning a basic knight at level 12 in the undead burg will stay at level 12 ,but when you get to blight town the trolls will be at least level 30 enemies do range within a level range. The challenge can be insane at moments but it just makes defeating bosses feel even better.

The graphics, and sound are amazing the sound track is near nonexistent, but when it dose kick in for the boss fights, or a cut scene it is just awesome. The graphics themselves are great, but its the way they are used that makes them breath taking. The visuals setting, and character design are all great but its the use of atmosphere that makes it by far the most atmospheric game I have ever played. That even includes Bioshock, systemshock, Half life 1&2, shadow of the colossus, and even Fallout 3.

There are some problems though. To have full access to all of the games content you must have a connection to the internet other wise you wont be able to have access to a couple of the games more multiplayer focused Guilds. Playing on an Xbox 360 with only a silver membership locked me out of the ability of those guilds. But they do is make the game longer and give you some new items and powers to use in the game by completing the guild masters task. A task that usually consists of "invading" someones game, killing them and taking some of there stuff. Not a big problem because they are far from necessary but a problem all the same. The other two problems are far more serious. The first one is a clipping issue where the enemies attacks will clip through walls due to there massive hit boxes, that are sometimes completely unavoidable. The other problem is that there is no pause feature other than the bonfires (checkpoints/spawn points, and the characters item storage). This was done to make the game harder but say you have to take the dog out during a battle during a boos fight you either end up cleaning up dog piss, or dying on purpose. And to me that just seems unfair.

Summary(for those to lazy to read):Great story, Amazing game-play, great music & graphics, The very best atmosphere, and terrific replay value with plenty to do to make the game worth while. But the enemies attack hit-boxes, and clipping issues, combined with a lack of a pause function keeps this game from being perfect.
    8/10
    lil' poopie boy
    lil' poopie boy
    High Maester of Verra

Post by lil' poopie boy Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:29 pm

i change uncharted 3 to a 9.3
    Italyins
    Italyins

Post by Italyins Mon 10 Sep 2012, 1:26 am

A movie to review this time.

Mongol

A Russian maid movie(so yes it has subtitles, although I'm pretty sure there not speaking russian.)

It tells the tale of Tamujin the son of a khan, of is destend to become khan after his father. But soon he is betrayed and is enslaved. The story then focuses on his escape, rise to becoming a khan, and eventually become Genghis Khan ruler of all of Mongolia.

The acting is very good amougnst the majority of the actors. The ones who aren't that good don't get very many lines so it doesn't really matter.

The cinematography is beautiful in this movie with some stunning scenery, and fighting shots.

All of the fighting is well executed, getting down to the mud and blood with the characters themselves. Unfortunetly the camera will sometimes get too close, and will distract for the fighting, thankfully though this dose not happen to often.

Seeing how the movie was also touted as a "minor historical" movie I can see how some may point that out as a flaw. Most are more visual changes, like clothing, and models of weaponry, but some of the more major inaccuracies I could ignore, mainly because the movie is already long enough without adding more characters. But I can excuse the wrong style of warfare tactics used by Temujin in the movie due to the fact that he was young in the movie so he did not perfect his technique. But most of the inaccuracies would really only bother history buffs.

Overall there is good acting, good effects, great camera work, good fight scenes, so over all a real good movie. So if you can watch movies that require subtitles than this is a definite must see.
    7.5/10

Last edited by Italyins on Tue 11 Sep 2012, 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
    TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:36 am

Is the movie called "Mongol: A Russian Made Movie" or just "Mongol"? lol.
    lil' poopie boy
    lil' poopie boy
    High Maester of Verra

Post by lil' poopie boy Mon 10 Sep 2012, 12:30 pm

Leon the professional

8.7 fo sho
    Italyins
    Italyins

Post by Italyins Tue 11 Sep 2012, 12:32 am

Kason Birdman wrote:Is the movie called "Mongol: A Russian Made Movie" or just "Mongol"? lol.

just Mongol, guess ill have to fix that. Thanks for catching that.
    lil' poopie boy
    lil' poopie boy
    High Maester of Verra

Post by lil' poopie boy Tue 11 Sep 2012, 1:14 am

shiiiiiiiii
    Vyzor
    Vyzor
    Journeyman From the Far East

Post by Vyzor Sun 16 Sep 2012, 12:53 pm

Kid Icarus Uprising (I haven't beaten it but I've played enough for a review)

The gameplay is really, really fun. The sky parts are really fun and so are the land parts. Sky parts don't really last long enough but whatever. I don't care for how you move the camera. It's really shitty. All the different weapons are tight and how you can fuse them is really fun. The game has a lot of content but it takes way too much from brawl. The vault for example and idols (essentially trophies). Idol toss is the trophy dispenser from Melee.

My one thing that I don't like is the dialogue. It's really shitty. Every character is deadpool. It breaks the 4th wall way too much and they know they are in a game and it's lame. It makes me laugh sometimes but most of the time it's like...come on. It also tries too hard to be whimsical. They make shitty jokes purposely so it's like "Oh how charming OHOHO". It's also lame when you fight a boss and you constantly have friendly bantering back and forth. EVERY BOSS (that can talk). Like one boss talking to Magus and being like "if you could GET a job! rabbit" and Pit trying to get Pandora to not be indifferent and her not wanting to try in the fight. UGH it's so annoying. "I have to keep up my tough image, I am a boss afterall"

All that dialogue aside though, i'd give it a 7.8!
    TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Sun 16 Sep 2012, 1:26 pm

Updated.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

This is the most confrontational, revolutionary, post-modern rap album to hit the industry... Ever. I have been blown away by this record time after time, always noticing new things and making new connections. It has a level of depth that all albums of today are missing. Not only is this the best rap album I have ever heard (if it can even be called rap, I would label it alternative abstract blues) it may also be the best record I've ever heard period (only other ones that I can think of that come close are animal, bat out of hell, how I got over, few others)

The structure of this album is one of its strongest points. The way it's put together is so important to the story. Thats another thing, the album as a whole tells one collective story, a fictional, deep story at that which is something very uncommon in albums. One of the biggest flaws in the music industry is that artists tend to only tell personal stories of their life, their observations. Never do they try to put them selves in another persons perspective to tell a story of fiction, and it's so refreshing to get this on mbdtf.

The instrumentals on this track are all, I hate to say this, but they are all flawless. Unfortunately, there are two rap versus that are very lack luster, but neither of them belong to Kanye, and they are both on the same song. No songs repeat themselves, all offer a different style, different range. I could keep going on but I'll cut myself off here I guess.

I have actually been considering writing an in depth analysis of the album for a while, and probably will one day.

I should totally review something that I don't think is amazing next lol.
    lil' poopie boy
    lil' poopie boy
    High Maester of Verra

Post by lil' poopie boy Sun 16 Sep 2012, 4:01 pm

so.... post-modern is good?
    lil' poopie boy
    lil' poopie boy
    High Maester of Verra

Post by lil' poopie boy Sun 16 Sep 2012, 4:03 pm

Also what does confrontational mean?
    lil' poopie boy
    lil' poopie boy
    High Maester of Verra

Post by lil' poopie boy Sun 16 Sep 2012, 4:04 pm

i agree though btw, im not trolling. triple post my bad Razz
    TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:50 pm

the fact that is post-modern just means that kanye is one of the few rappers to Incorporate new-age art techniques into his work (just shows hes up with the times) and confrontational as in the album addresses real world issues that not many people are willing to talk about cause they're nasty and controversial.
    Italyins
    Italyins

Post by Italyins Mon 17 Sep 2012, 6:40 pm

Movie review

Tree of life:

If you have ever wondered what it would be like if you added orchestral music to one of those abstract computer wall paper backgrounds that was made by some pretentious, overly artistic, asshole. Then this is the movie for you, especially if your a big fan of the phrase "A picture is worth more than a thousand words". Only to be followed up by "Ask me what it means, ask me what it means!".

The story is nearly non existent, I mean shit happens but with no particular rhyme or reason. Stuff just happens for the sake of happening.

The acting also barely exists. All the actors get to do is show two emotions, and react to stuff that happened.

The two good things about this movie is the music, and the cinematography. Unfortunately they are both utilized poorly.

Overall this movie is just trying to be the next 2001 a space odyssey. While this movie is a lot of slow pace with no story 2001 actually has a fucking story! This movie tries way to hard to be deep and tries to be artistic to the point where it just bored the fuck out of me.

2/10

Also the movie is more than 2 and half hours.
    lil' poopie boy
    lil' poopie boy
    High Maester of Verra

Post by lil' poopie boy Mon 17 Sep 2012, 8:51 pm

Kason Birdman wrote:the fact that is post-modern just means that kanye is one of the few rappers to Incorporate new-age art techniques into his work (just shows hes up with the times) and confrontational as in the album addresses real world issues that not many people are willing to talk about cause they're nasty and controversial.

Ok yeah, thanks for clearing that up for me. I totally know what you mean. All these artists are talking about sex and drugs and love but like deeper shit is too deep for them! Kanye GOES DEEP. Good shit, good shit
    Cephalo the Pod
    Cephalo the Pod
    Charles Babbage

King of All Ratings Thread Empty Wiigii!

Post by Cephalo the Pod Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:48 pm

Webcomic: It's Walky!
    King of All Ratings Thread 19991225new
    Score: 8.0.
    Good: Huge cast of lovable characters; interesting setting; realistically-paced plot.
    Bad: A few confusing plot elements, some of which never get addressed; initially poor art.

David Willis has been writing comics for 15 years now. Over the years he's worked on 5 distinct series. Two have long been finished, one is...I dunno, and the other two are his current work. The second finished series is It's Walky! (the ! is in the title), a sequel series to his original webcomic Roomies!. It's Walky! is a fun, detailed story with a slew of intriguing characters that go through all sorts of exciting adventures.

While Roomies! mainly focussed on the College hijinks of Danny and his long-time pal Joe, It's Walky! is a much more serious tale of superpowered adolescents fighting a malicious race of Aliens (that's the actual name of their race). Before I get to that, I should note that you don't have to read Roomies! to understand It's Walky!. Roomies! isn't full of many plot-twisting events. The only things that readers who start right with It's Walky! really need to know is that Joyce went to the same college as Danny during Roomies!, and Sal and Danny were an item in high school.

Like I said, It's Walky is about young adults fighting Aliens trying to take over the world. Semme is a secret government organization that employs Squads of 20-something year-olds, all of whom share the experience of being genetically augmented by the Aliens to have superpowers (often super strength). The plot follows David "Walky" Walkerton, a Semme lab assistant who is quickly promoted to full-on Semme agent after a certain New Years 2000 incident.

He meets Squad 128 members Joyce Brown, a absurdly cheerful, adorably naive girl who's recently had her mind wiped; Jason Chesterfield, a gentlemanly Englishmen who's not an abductee and holds many secrets; Mike Warner, a huge jerkass who's...a huge jerkass; and others. 128 is the Squad most-followed by the plot, although there's a few others who pop up then and again.

What is so great about these characters is how they evolve over the years. This comic was originally made from around the beginning of 2000 to the end of October 2004. And Willis mostly updated every day. The time of any point in the webcomic is pretty close to the date the comic was made. This means that as you span through 4 years of archives, you are spanning through 4 years of these people's lives. A lot happens to them, and they grow accordingly. This is very true for Walky and Joyce. Despite all their growth, they don't stop being themselves at the core.

The art is great...and it's terrible. Out of Willis's five comics, this one easily has the greatest development in it's visuals.
    King of All Ratings Thread 20000504a
    This strip is from May 2000. The characters are short and blocky, and the faces are dots and lines.
    King of All Ratings Thread 20030614a
    This strip is from June 2003. A big change. The art becomes tolerable around the second half of 2001. I should mention that the very beginning of the comic is somewhat visually misleading. Somehow, the art has a quality equal to Willis's current work. At around 60 or so strips in, it goes to the old artwork. Why this is, I don't know. My guess is that Willis did a little update years later.

While the general plot is more serious than Roomies!, It's Walky! is still very comedic. While these abductees are in war with the aliens, they still crack jokes at the right moments and can still be goofy. There's a fairly even mix of long story arcs and one-strip gags. Understandibly, the sitcomish strips become more scarce later on, when the overarching plot is developed.

Speaking of that plot, there's some stuff in It's Walky! that is just...what. There's one moment where this important plot device is introduced and you're all, wait, when did that get here? What does it do? Then there's that one villainous organization who's goals are never really discussed, let alone made clear. And the rules for alien technology are hard to follow. It can get in the way of action scenes when you don't know why what is happening is happening. That being said, those are just a few elements. Not all scenes are disrupted like this, and even then, those are just a portion of the webcomic.

That's It's Walky!, a load of fun, and an even bigger load once you get into it.

Last edited by Mogotoo on Thu 27 Sep 2012, 11:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
    lil' poopie boy
    lil' poopie boy
    High Maester of Verra

Post by lil' poopie boy Thu 27 Sep 2012, 10:37 pm

so i watched die hard last weekend and i love it so much. it was SO entertaining, honestly. Like the most entertaining movie ive seen in a really really long time for sure. Im gunna give it a solid:

8.6/10.0
    TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Fri 28 Sep 2012, 4:17 pm

Yeah it is a pretty darn good movie. The rest are alright. Beverly Hills cop, thats a good cop movie!
    lil' poopie boy
    lil' poopie boy
    High Maester of Verra

Post by lil' poopie boy Tue 02 Oct 2012, 12:49 am

lol i think ive heard that and lol yeah apparently the rest of the die hards are MILK
    TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Tue 02 Oct 2012, 12:51 am

Is there anything that I haven't updated the OP with?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 9:02 pm