The Sharkasm Empire

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sharkasm Empire

The Sharkasm Empire is a wonderful community brought to you by the Sharks of Sharkasm

Top posting users this month

No user

Latest topics

» Food Food Food
King of All Ratings Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed 10 Jan 2024, 3:34 pm by TheCryptKeeper

» "It's the door..... To the light" - The Social Thread v 2.0
King of All Ratings Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed 10 Jan 2024, 3:29 pm by TheCryptKeeper

» Diary of a Mac Student
King of All Ratings Thread - Page 4 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2023, 2:41 pm by TheCryptKeeper

» Arcasia: Legend of the Wolfram Emerald
King of All Ratings Thread - Page 4 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2023, 11:56 am by lil' poopie boy

» Le Cinéma
King of All Ratings Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu 20 Apr 2023, 11:08 am by TheCryptKeeper

» Ideas
King of All Ratings Thread - Page 4 EmptySat 15 Apr 2023, 8:49 am by lil' poopie boy

» Musique Lystoux
King of All Ratings Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri 14 Apr 2023, 8:59 am by TheCryptKeeper

» Through Shady Lanes
King of All Ratings Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu 13 Apr 2023, 8:26 pm by lil' poopie boy

» King of All Ratings Thread
King of All Ratings Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu 13 Apr 2023, 5:36 pm by TheCryptKeeper

» Where's The Beats!?
King of All Ratings Thread - Page 4 EmptyMon 21 Aug 2017, 7:42 pm by Italyins

+3
Italyins
Cephalo the Pod
TheCryptKeeper
7 posters

King of All Ratings Thread

TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

King of All Ratings Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: King of All Ratings Thread

Post by TheCryptKeeper Tue 21 Jun 2016, 12:35 pm

Finally updated with absolutely everything.

Missed last fridays album review because of June 18th tings/devils lunchable/duncan+rob bday/allan+annie going away party.

Also rory I liked rereading your movie reviews, you should write more.

This friday, I'll do one of these:
    King of All Ratings Thread - Page 4 220px-Random_Access_MemoriesKing of All Ratings Thread - Page 4 220px-Radiohead.okcomputer.albumartKing of All Ratings Thread - Page 4 220px-CilviaDemo
    Italyins
    Italyins
    Small Time Chawmpy Hunter

Post by Italyins Tue 21 Jun 2016, 6:08 pm

Kason Birdman wrote:
    Also rory I liked rereading your movie reviews, you should write more

wow thanks man, I should do more ill upload one tomorrow. I swear by my honor as the most loyal ghost you know
    Vyzor
    Vyzor
    Journeyman From the Far East

Post by Vyzor Tue 21 Jun 2016, 7:17 pm

I wanna make some more reviews but it requires to me to actually watch movies and play games
    TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Tue 21 Jun 2016, 9:09 pm

or listen to albums bom
    Vyzor
    Vyzor

Post by Vyzor Tue 21 Jun 2016, 11:50 pm

affraid wow TOTALLY OUT OF FUCKIN LINE
    TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Wed 22 Jun 2016, 9:46 am

King of All Ratings Thread - Page 4 3DXjv
    Italyins
    Italyins

Post by Italyins Wed 22 Jun 2016, 12:29 pm

yeah Vyzor  we know your incapable of doing anything anymore,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5iqYuFmzqg
    Italyins
    Italyins

Post by Italyins Wed 22 Jun 2016, 1:34 pm

Review time finally i'm back again for the first time only, this time reviewing Police Story (1985 version)

King of All Ratings Thread - Page 4 Police-Story-movie-poster

Before i get into the analysis of the film I would first like it if you would take the time, and let that title sink in. Dose it not have a raw beautiful quality to it that only the most genius of minds could create.  This isn't about some dumpy fuck of a waiter, some magical man with extra dimensional aids made curable only by watching holocaust movies. Its not another show/movie trying to give me white guilt.  Its no historical drama, its no superhero movie, its a POLICE STORY. POLICE......STORY! Let us begin.

This is a Jackie Chan movie So there are really only three things to talk about  These things are Jackie Chan himself, the comedy, and the stunt work. Sometimes there are 4 if the stunt work and martial arts have a big enough disconnect to them. Seeing as most of the movie has a focus on heavy stunt choreography over fighting choreography, and because i have to study today i'm gonna put this movie into the 3 category review slot.

First up Jackie Chan. He is in fact in this movie. I know this doesn't seem like a big deal but in the Chinese film market there are knockoffs every where that have celebrities in them when they don't. In north america we will show the movie staring someone who is only in the movie for 5 minutes. In china though they will strait up lift stock footage from movies stick it in theirs slap a wig on some guy, have him kick a few people, call him Jackie and say Jackie Chan was in this movie. he is in this movie, and isnt being held back in the slightest by a north american film companies safety policies(the other big thing for reviewing Jackie himself is if they let him be him)  so he gets a 100% positive.

Second, Comedy. This is the weakest part of the movie this physical humor or the quick sight gags are funny, some of the lines people say are funny but, some of the joke just go in way too long like one were Jackie is talking shit about someone in the shower to a woman in the other room only for that person to come in and hear. There are two scenes like that where the joke goes on to long but that about it. It doesn't seem to bad at the description, but the fact that the movies pace is already all over the place makes  the movie feel much longer than it actually is. Most of the movies humor is funny especially a scene where Jackie is working at the police station. But it just slows down the movie to the point where it feels much longer than 1 hour and 40 mins. Oh and the tone changes in the last 30 mins of the movie so the humor just feels kind of out of place, not really to bad, just worth a mention.

Finally stunts and fighting. This movie could have had a soggy cardboard cutout of Jackie Chan, and the humor could have been unironic MLG pro 360 no scope your mom , hi guys im devin dicklick showing you another miny crafta video. But as long as the stunts where as good I would still tell you to go see it. I really dont want to spoil what any of the stunts are, just keep in mind that they are fantastic. And that some people took a hell of a beating to bring them to you. One stunt in particular was so narly it burned the skin off of someones (ill let you guess whos) hands after preforming it. Thats all I have to say about it. you should see the movie entirely due to the stunt work. As far as I can tell there wherent any dummies used so all the people getting right fucked in the movie are real.  Also the few fight scenes the mall one in particular are great.

Final thoughts. Its really good, not perfect, but really good. I give it a 7/10

Also the dub I saw was laughably bad, so unless you want to hear it I would watch the subbed version instead
    Italyins
    Italyins

Post by Italyins Wed 22 Jun 2016, 1:39 pm

oh shit I forgot to mention that the subbed version his character is named Chan Ka-Kui in some dubs his name is Kevin Chan. In mine his name is....Jackie Chan. Thats why i kept refering to him as Jackie chan.

this is the Hong Kong movie poster btw
    King of All Ratings Thread - Page 4 220px-Police-Story-poster
    Vyzor
    Vyzor

Post by Vyzor Wed 22 Jun 2016, 10:52 pm

Italyins wrote:yeah Vyzor  we know your incapable of doing anything anymore,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5iqYuFmzqg

Italyins
    Italyins

Post by Italyins Thu 23 Jun 2016, 4:30 pm

i should review that movie next
    TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Thu 23 Jun 2016, 9:55 pm

wow i have never even heard of that series.

man i kinda miss jackie chan, he's legitimate as all hell
    Italyins
    Italyins

Post by Italyins Fri 24 Jun 2016, 8:05 pm

police story 1 & 2 are the only ones worth seeing
    TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Fri 24 Jun 2016, 8:58 pm

King of All Ratings Thread - Page 4 220px-Random_Access_Memories
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pMRxwR0QbI
    we all love daft punk, rite? yeah who doesn't.

After the french duo finished their legendary Alive tour in 2007 (live remixes of [mostly] Human After All tracks, their third album) they became some what of an enigma. Human After All was released in 2005, and by 2010 hardly any new studio material had been dropped. So when it was announced DP would be doing the OST for the new Tron movie, shit hit the fan. The OST came and went and most people were less than ecstatic about it (though personally, I loved it) and DP fans around the world were left in an unsatisfied state of electro-disco blue-ballage.

So then many a years later, Random Access Memories was announced and we caught a glimpse of it in the first single "Get Lucky". This track absolutely blew up the boards, jesus christ this thing was playing everywhere. I remember it was the summer of Sam Cray's prom and this was playing non-stop on in the Limo lmao.

But anyway, the album.

We went out and copped this album from video plus books in good ol' Ratford, Ontario the first day it came out. We played it in the car and my lord the first track absolutely took me for a wild ride.

flow:
    The opening track "Give Life Back to Music" is earnestly unlike anything DP has ever put out. It was exploding with energy, and not in their usual dance-hall fashion but in a more organic way. The first track is so powerful you have no choice but to offer all your attention to the album right from the get-go.
    Following this, things are slowed down with the track Game of Love (which is kind of reminiscent of earlier Discovery-era DP songs) and it transitions quite well into the glorious 9 minute fable, "Giorgio by Moroder". This fable eases you in through gentle narrative and has a near-linear progression creeping towards one of the hottest, sexiest climaxes in the duo's entire discography.
    After these three tracks, the project is slowed down again and the rest of the albums seems to be very groove focused, whether that groove comes through jazzy ballads or funky dance bangers.
    The drums are so organic and fluid throughout the entire project and there isn't really any micro details that feel out of place. Some of the songs, though, I think could have been more appropriately placed. Touch would have made a wonderful exit track (it feels kind of claustrophobic; being squeezed in between the two hottest dance tunes on the album) and Fragments of Time feels so darn summery and light-hearted that I'm really surprised it wasn't a first-half song (same for Doin' it Right, actually)
    Instrumentally no song feels out of place, which goes to show just how much the duo had matured since their last project, seeing as how the instrument and genre diversity on this thing reached new heights for them.

Whether your grooving to the highs and lows of Instant Crush or being captivated by the exit track, RAM is melodically on point from front to back, with virtually no hiccups outside of overall structure.

Content:
    well.. this criteria doesn't so much apply to electronic or dance music. I can say, however, that thematically the album was perhaps a little behind the likes of Human After All or Discovery, but I don't really think that was their focus.
    Some tracks didn't really push the envelope for the group as much as others; Lose Yourself to Dance, Get Lucky, and Doin' It Right all feel slightly uninspired when compared to the other tracks, but I guess the album needed to achieve mainstream publicity in order to not be a complete stinker.

In summary, Double Penetration displayed beautiful artistic growth within the walls of this album while showing that they still have what it takes to bring a dance floor to life without resorting to generic club track/EDM gimmicks.

8.4, second favourite double penetration album.
    TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Fri 24 Jun 2016, 9:01 pm

on second thought, I don't think touch would be a good exit track, and it transitions well into get lucky...

but still...
    duncandonuts
    duncandonuts
    A New Beggening'er

Post by duncandonuts Sat 25 Jun 2016, 8:56 pm

contact still haunts my dreams
    TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Sat 25 Jun 2016, 11:24 pm

dude contact is beaaaautiful
    TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Sat 09 Jul 2016, 9:59 pm

in order to make up for my missed album review, here's a JUNO review:

haven't seen this movie in a long time, first impression: seems stylistically pretty committed which I like. However, all the dialogue has a sort of napolean dynamite sarcasm to it that was super big back in the early 2000s. That type of thing always felt like really lazy humour to me, so I'm not a big fan, but it certainly captures that aspect of that time period pretty well.

another thing; the main character, on top of her dynamite sarcasm talks in such a complex cheeky way. all of her sentences sound like bullshit for which no one who's not a zen buddhist master could ever come up with on the spot. I understand that real life kids are predictable and boring af, and fiction SHOULD try to create dialogue that is tiers above real life conversations, but there's no reason it can't also be realistic. (especially in juno, where one of the main focus' seems to be relatibility for a specific age group)

i also kind of like michael ceras character. i mean.. COME ON! HE'S A GOOD GUY! he's historically gotten nothing but flack for being type casted in everything he does, but realistically i don't think that needs to negatively impact the experience of each movie he's in. that being said, i might be biased because the first (and essentially only) thing i've seen him in (sans super bad, he's in that right?) is arrested development, which i love him in.

as for the parents that are set to adopt junos kid; there's this dichotomy between the cool fun guy played by jason bateman who into music and slasher flicks and the tight ass girl played by julia roberts (or w.e i donno they're all the same) who's slightly lacking in soul. i think it's alright. i like batemans character but i find it really off putting how instantly and obviously he is attracted to juno. as the story progresses you begin to feel a switcheroo as it becomes apparent that the guy is perhaps a self-absorbed fuckboi and julia roberts character begins to blossom. it feels like her character starts to pour out pent up emotion in the latter half of the film, rather satisfying.

over all, i liked it. made me feel nice fun emotions.

one particular thing i noticed, without much in depth analysis: the colour yellow has a powerful presence, from the schools colours to the notorious sunny D. it's used to contrast or dominate in several cuts through out the movie. there's one scene, in particular, where julia roberts is comparing different shades of yellow the paint the babies room with, explaining how it's a gender neutral colour. i feel like yellow represents a sort of meek uncertainty that the story plays off of a lot; the two colours she's comparing look exactly the same. this scene is also used to foreshadow pretty key aspects about both julias and jason's characters, probably the centrepiece scene of the whole movie, thematically at least.

TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Mon 25 Jul 2016, 4:17 pm

listened to the newest roots album for the first time at work today.
    it was really sick.

also listened to the DKC1 ost and it was fantastic as always.

might review cilvia demo, new avalanches album, or new weezer album this friday
    TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Fri 05 Aug 2016, 12:10 pm

well here it is, it'll be a short one but haven't done one in a while so HERE WE GO:
    King of All Ratings Thread - Page 4 220px-Cover_of_Weezer%27s_White_Album%2C2016

They're back, baby.
    White Album, the new Weezer album came out this summer (along with PLENTY of other juicy albums that I hope to review) and we have already offered this CD a fair amount of pumpage.

It's very clear what Weezer wanted to do on this project; they wanted to make the summer album. The album is bursting at the seems with waterside imagery (much nautical talk, referring to himself or girls as fishes or mermaids) and popish beach-born instrumentals. Everything seems to be covered in a thin breezy sheet of nostalgia.

Cuomo sticks to his guns here, and as such we're left with mostly relationship oriented tunes. Really this project just feels like a summer fling to me. We're taken from the optimistic 'get up and get going' pile driver of an intro track, California Kids, into a smooth sort of honeymoon phase of a fleeting summer relationship that lasts for nearly the entirety of the album. And this mood DOES NOT get old. It's this sort of consistent emotion and commitment to a concept that makes this project really feel like a matured and learned Pinkerton. 

This album starts to change direction from it's energized youthful romance with the track Summer Elaine and Drunk Dori where Cuomo begins divulging the course of a new break-up in a smooth sombre fashion. It's in this track that he appears to be in a sort of stage of denial, fronting like he doesn't give a damn. I definitely recommend giving the lyrics of this track (and every track) a read while you listen: http://genius.com/9056727. L.A. Girlz, the next track, documents the subsequent stage of Cuomo's dealings with the breakup. It's in this track that he starts to appear more hurt and possibly even a little pathetic as he practically begs his girl to reconsider, all the while still trying to pin the blame on the girl, trying to make her seem like the ridiculous one. Basically, Cuomo is showing himself to be a big fat sore loser.
    In the following and final tracks, Cuomo comes to terms with the sad but inevitable end to his summer fling. (In these two tracks along with L.A. Girlz that it starts to seem like this is how his every summer goes, as he starts referring to girls in general, like at the beginning of the album, opposed to just one girl as seen in the middle of the album.) Cuomo is forced to admit that he cannot keep up with these energized summer relationship, and that it is a cruel fleeting fantasy (really reminds me of the Chance the Rapper song, Summer Friends). The albums with Cuomo beaten and tired of this endless cycle of love lust and loathing that every emotion packed summer seems to throw him into, as he exclaims that he just "want's the summer to end," for godsake. After all, "what's the point in trying to pretend?" The project then concludes with another wonderful build-up and solo, then flattens out like a heart monitor to the peaceful sound of waves coming home on the beach side and seagulls passing overhead. The cycle is doomed to repeat.

With regards to the instrumentation; everything seems to be cleanly in place, yet bombastic as all hell. Every chorus feels like a united whole band solo, if that makes sense. The guitar solo's aren't just lazy rehashes of the vocal chorus melodies, they really have that old time Weezer not-give-a-fuck feeling. The drums are so damn clean, too, I don't know how every punch and kick comes through so clear. It's a great album and impossible to not get hyped up when listening. 

8.8 / 10

PS: YOUUUU SCARE MEEEE, LIKE AN OPEN WINDOWWWWW
    Vyzor
    Vyzor

Post by Vyzor Mon 08 Aug 2016, 6:57 pm

I'll probably check out some weezer stuff soon, but I'm currently getting into what I think is called "chill electronic"
    TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Mon 08 Aug 2016, 8:04 pm

if ur digging that stuff definitely check out these two albums:

tycho - dive
    boards of canada - music has the right to children

oh and theres a deadmau5 mix on yt called 'chill mix' that's REALLY sick. the same one i always play dota to.
    Vyzor
    Vyzor

Post by Vyzor Thu 11 Aug 2016, 4:47 pm

I watched the Peanuts Movie the other night. It's on Netflix now so I thought I'd give it a watch with the family.

So, here we go!!!!!!

The Peanuts Movie REVIEW

King of All Ratings Thread - Page 4 Peanuts_2015
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2452042/

So, everyone knows the Peanuts right? Everyone has seen the classic christmas and halloween specials? Alright good. For starters, the actual creator of the Peanuts passed away about 16 years ago. So you might be wondering, "Shit, then who wrote this movie?". Well, surprisingly, it was actually written by Charles M. Schulz son and grandson! You also might be wondering if they did a good job....

HECK YA THEY DID!

Anyways, the story is pretty simple, which I'd say is perfect to stay faithful to the original source material. It just follows Charlie Brown's horrible life as he tries to get the cute little red-haired girl to like him. A lot of the humour and interactions seemed spot on and of course it had an overall good message. There were also some cute nods to the original Peanuts comics, like Charlie never being able to fly a kite, the football thing, etc.

The only negative to this movie was that, well.....it was a movie. Now hear me out. Although the movie was overall enjoyable, it did feel like it dragged on a bit. The Peanuts was just a bunch of short comics so it felt like they struggled a little bit to keep the story engaging. They ended up doing a lot of "Red Baron" segments, were Snoopy pretends he's flying a plane. They also had "action-y" sequences where a character is say, falling down a huge hill on a wagon going "whooOOO WHOOAAAAA!!!" all the while trying to avoid hitting things. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there was some filler in the movie. But again, none of it was terrible and I think it made sense for them to add scenes like that for younger audiences and to have the whole "movie" feel. Schulz son and grandson did a very good job on keeping true to the original material. The movie never had to resort to being "HIP AND COOL" by making a character, I dunno, fuckin rap or something. They also never did a pop culture reference nor did they hire big name celebrities like Dreamworks would of. The hippest thing in the movie was just a couple songs that played during montages and some of the dancing during the credits. But they weren't out of place by any means.

On to the animation. If you've seen any trailers for the movie, you would have noticed how GORGEOUS it looks. And yes, it did hold up throughout the whole movie. They went with a 2.5D style, where they use 3D animation to mimic 2D animation. It worked very well and they made the characters move and act very similar to the original stuff, which was cool. Sometimes the backgrounds looked a little out of place but they managed to maintain the same style mostly so it was pretty unnoticeable.

To conclude this, I'd say to definitely check this out if your a fan of the Peanuts. It's very cute and was actually genuinely funny. Blue Sky Studios did an amazing job and I'd say that this is their best movie they've ever made. Ice Age 8 is a close second.

7.4/10 I love you's
    TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Mon 15 Aug 2016, 8:58 am

awesome i should watch it; it sounds better than se7en.
    lil' poopie boy
    lil' poopie boy
    High Maester of Verra

Post by lil' poopie boy Fri 23 Sep 2016, 10:17 pm

King of All Ratings Thread - Page 4 2edgy4me+_0545fa8d46d6f92e8ab823cb496f7429

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 5:36 pm