The Sharkasm Empire

The Sharkasm Empire is a wonderful community brought to you by the Sharks of Sharkasm

Top posting users this month

Latest topics

» "It's the door..... To the light" - The Social Thread v 2.0
Tue 12 Sep 2017, 11:16 am by TheCryptKeeper

» Where's The Beats!?
Mon 21 Aug 2017, 7:42 pm by Italyins

» Musique Lystoux
Fri 11 Aug 2017, 3:16 pm by TheCryptKeeper

» Le Cinéma
Tue 25 Jul 2017, 12:26 am by Italyins

» The TSEmpire Book Club!
Mon 24 Jul 2017, 8:28 pm by TheCryptKeeper

» The Beautiful Young Pictures thread
Mon 24 Jul 2017, 8:25 pm by TheCryptKeeper

» The Anime Thread
Fri 21 Jul 2017, 3:02 pm by Italyins

» The Collective Dream Journal
Thu 20 Jul 2017, 8:26 pm by Vyzor

» The Internet Video Discussion Thread
Thu 20 Jul 2017, 7:52 pm by Vyzor

» The Official Summer Beats Thread!
Mon 17 Jul 2017, 5:17 pm by lil' poopie boy

Weekend Hangouts with our Schlangs Out

Mon 17 Apr 2017, 12:43 pm by lil' poopie boy

Hi farm,
/
/
/
This is a notice to tell you that rob and I are reaching ST this coming weekend, the 21st, 22nd, 23rd. I expect to be greeted by downie darkos ready to hangout whilst stoking our nice long cats and dogs.
So lets lets drink poison and ingest herbal remedies for our pain, lets camp at shark mountain or in the forest by the cemetery. Lets go to olearys or celebr8 or sunset diner or …

The Professional Melee Study and Debate Thread

Cephalo the Pod
    Charles Babbage

The Professional Melee Study and Debate Thread

Post by Cephalo the Pod on Thu 18 Oct 2012, 2:41 pm

This is a thread back from StMarysSmash. I haven't brought back all the posts, just the ones directly asking questions or proposing answers,
    Kason Birdman wrote:
    Vyzor wrote:I have a mystery. What causes the Invisible Ceiling Glitch?
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm good question.

As we know so far, the ICG is caused when someone is hit out of hitlag (meaning they are attacking someone, their attack causes hitlag, but then they are hit DURING that hitlag) but what does this say about the physics of smash?

good question vyzor, our team of melee physicists will investigate.
    Kason Birdman wrote:
    Kason Birdman wrote:
    Vyzor wrote:also what makes JC work? You're running then you jump and grab. what makes it like a neutral grab?
    our lab decided we need to know more first about the standard physics befor we go indepth into things like ICG.

but for JC a grab. We know it happens because you press jump and your character leaves the ground. cancelling there dash and then grabbing before they leave the ground because there is a few frames from where there dash ends and there jump begins in which they are standing still and can preform a standing grab.

Our team believes this is because there is less friction in the air then on ground (just as in real life) meaning that actions can happen faster then on ground. This explains the majority of characters abbility to move faster in the air then on the ground, but there air speed also relies on their density, aerodynamics and mass.
    All of those things we are still looking into.

Also, as far as we know, melee gravity is a lot different than earth gravity. It is not truly gravity at all which is why we are working on comming up with a new name for the force that pulls characters to the surface.
    Ok. The name Furmoccasus has been given to the force that pulls people down in melee. This name is temporary but i see it fits well so I do not see the need to change it atm.

Furmoccasus is derrived from the latin words furmos (meaning constant) and occasus (means to fall). Because smash characters to not ACCELERATE whilst effect my furmoccasus, they move at a constant speed, this name was given.

We were about to undergo some tests to determine the speed at which our first test character falls (jigglypuff) but we do not have any way to measure height vertically in melee so far. Until that point we cannot officially go about determining speeds at which characters fall by furmoccasus.

I'm really enjoying this actually. Physics and melee, my two favourite things.
    Mogotoo wrote:
    Kason Birdman wrote:
    Mogotoo wrote:
    Mogotoo wrote:
    Kason Birdman wrote:
    Mogotoo wrote:I propose that we look into the workings of the double jump. In our world, we can jump off of solid objects because they are stable enough to withstand the force we apply. But in Melee, it seems that characters can propel themselves in the air after already jumping.

How does this work? If you look carefully during a double jump, you can see a small circle being formed. Does the air somehow condense below the character, providing an ample platform to jump off of? What enables the characters to initiate this condensation of air in the first place? Do different characters find different ways to double jump (just look at Kirby and Jigglypuff, who can jump five times at once)?

Most importantly, how do we go about testing hypotheses for this?
    Interesting... This was always my theory as well. Well, its pretty much the only have believable theory lol.
    'Air' seems to be pretty dense in the smash world as people can jump of it and perform other things, so for kirby and jiggs could it just be that they are less dense or lighter than the air? Which gives them more jumps than others.
    I just thought of another hypothesis; what if it's not air density, but air pressure? A character increases the air pressure below them (or lowers it above them), and the imbalance in pressure forces the character up.
    The air pressure hypothesis is more plausible, methinks. If the characters could jump on air, it would have to freeze. And air only freezes at really cold temperatures.
    Yeah you're totally right. Unless IC's freeze the air so they can jump on it ^_^

Except for Ness, it appears he just uses PSI to shoot himself up and gain another 'jump' me thinks.
    Yeah, there's clearly a few characters who have special advantages when it comes to jumping (like Ness, Zelda, Mewtwo, etc.).

The Air-Pressure-Jump (shortened to APJ) hypothesis refers more to characters like Mario, Link, and DK.
    Mogotoo wrote:And now for another subject. [url=http://www.exitmundi.nl/eternity.htmHere[/url]'s a link to an Exit Mundi article about what will happen over an eternity to the universe. Here's the part that matters to us.
    Exit Mundi wrote:As the quadrillions of years pass by, something very odd should happen. In eternity, even the rarest events get a chance to occur. Weird, bizarre phenomena that only happen once in a zillion years or so, become quite normal.

For example: the nothingness should yield a few surprises. Already, physicists know that in a vacuum, there are sometimes tiny little energy ‘blobs’. Little, random fluctuations of the so-called ‘quantum vacuum’. Out of nowhere, tiny particles pop in and out of existence. But theory predicts that on very, VERY rare occasions, the fluctuations should be a bit larger. Out of nowhere, an entire atom might appear! Or hey, the vacuum may even spit out a few of them!

Think of it like the static on TV. Wait long enough, and out of the random fuzz, a recognizable image might materialize. Wait REALLY long, and one day a complete episode of The Bold And The Beautiful should accidentally show up!

In the Universe, this should give some really surprising results. With eternity at hand, the vacuum should begin to yield all kinds of objects. Incoherent lumps of random garbage, most of the time. But on very, very rare occasions, you’ll see other objects popping into existence. The Eiffel tower. A purple camel. A golden parking garage filled with chocolate Cadillacs. Napoleon Bonaparte sitting next to Mike Tyson on top of a stack of comic books. As the googols of years pass by, it’s all there.

In the VERY, VERY, VERY long run, the vacuum will even belch up complete planets, and beautiful stars, burning and all. Theoretically the vacuum should even churn out a complete solar system one day, identical to ours, with a planet Earth inhabited by people. "In an infinite amount of time, one day, I will reappear", as physicist Katherine Freese of Michigan University once put it. "An crazy thought, but true."
    What does this mean for us? Well, maybe this could explain items. Objects that seem to randomly appear out of nowhere seem to comply with the laws of physics, after all.

Of course, IRL, big objects take unfathomably long times to appear, so Melee's take on it is exaggerated, to say the least.
    Mogotoo wrote:
    Saux wrote:
    Mogotoo wrote:
    Vyzor wrote:What makes someone get slot raped?
    What is slot raped?
    when someone gets hit against the little hole in the wall of yoshis story where randall comes out. when they hit they instantly shoot sideways off the screeen:
    Hm...
    Without thinking about it much, my guess is that the hole is a wind tunnel, designed to keep trespassers from stealing Randall.
    Mogotoo wrote:
    Mogotoo wrote:
    How does this happen?
    I'm gonna chalk it up to this; for whatever reason there is a thin lawyer of flammable fluid below Smashville (maybe others? Does the glitch happen on other stages?). It is carried along a complex system of pipes. Some portions of the system are closer to the top than others. Zelda's fire struck one of these portions, causing a stream of fire to flow through the pipes and out of the spot that we see.
    Mogotoo wrote:
    Saux wrote:
    Mogotoo wrote:Who wants to do a close reading of Melee?
    yea its so goddamn postmodern
    Video games have a tendency to be that. Postmodernism is about blurring the lines between the audience and the medium, and what better way to do that than to have the audience directly control the medium?
    Mogotoo wrote:Mario's standard special attack is throwing a fireball, as is Luigi's. However, while Luigi's goes perfectly horizontally, Mario's falls and bounces off the floor. This represents Mario's inability to hold a job and frequent lapses into drug abuse. Once he hits rock bottom, he promises to get back up on his feet. But just as things begin to look up, he just falls right back down.
    Mogotoo wrote:
    Sauxuas wrote:Lmao, symbolistic physics? Maybe the game physics should just be another character
    The lack of gravitational acceleration during falling represents monotony. The characters had big hopes and dreams, and now they've all been reduced to bludgeoning each other for pocket change.
    Kason Birdman wrote:
    Mogotoo wrote:Master Hand and Crazy Hand embody the duality of man. Need I explain?
    I understand. This especially makes sense because they are said to represent the hands of a kid playing with all the trophies making them fight, pitting these toys against each other, he has to have the occasional psychopathic mentality, thus, crazy hand.

thats just my theory atleast.

Re: The Professional Melee Study and Debate Thread

Post by TheCryptKeeper on Thu 18 Oct 2012, 3:51 pm

You should post in the PAX thread for sure!

Love the name though.

Post by Cephalo the Pod on Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:42 pm

Regarding Fermocassus. I think there actually is accelerating gravity in Melee. Notice how when you jump, you slow down to a halt in the air? And it takes a bit for you to reach falling speed. I don't think it's a matter of Melee lacking gravity; I think the terminal velocity is just really, really low.

Took a hell of a while to make this.

Post by Cephalo the Pod on Mon 22 Oct 2012, 9:12 pm

Source material tier list! Who's the strongest fighter when everyone comes straight from their original franchises? I will put the characters' Smash tier numbers to the side for comparison.

Roy, Mewtwo and Pichu have not been factored in yet.

S
    1. Ness (9/12, 23/26, 27/38)
    2. Lucas (30/38)
    3. Sonic the Hedgehog (22/38)
    4. Samus (12/12, 11/26, 33/38)

A
    5. Ike (23/38)
    6. Marth (5/26, 5/38)
    7. (Toon/Young)&Link (10/12 17&16/26, 14&35/38)
    8. Zelda&Shiek (18&4/26, 37&26/38)
    9. Pit (21/38)

B
    10. Doctor&Mario (5/12, 9&13/26, 31/38)
    11. Luigi (11/12, 14/26, 25/38)
    12. Kirby (2/12, 25/26, 19/38)

C
    13. Meta Knight (1/38)
    14. Ganondorf (10/26, 38/38)
    15. Bowser (24/26, 32/38)
    16. Pokémon Trainer (29/38)

D
    17. King Dedede (11/38)
    18. Snake (3/38)
    19. Lucario (10/38)
    20. Captain Falcon (4/12, 7/26, 34/38)

E
    21. Wario (6/38)
    22. Fox (3/12, 1/26, 15/38)
    23. Falco (2/26, 4/38)
    24. Wolf (16/38)

F
    25. Donkey Kong (7/12, 15/26, 18/38)
    26. Pikachu (1/12, 12/26, 9/38)

G
    27. Peach (6/26, 17/38)
    28. Yoshi (6/12, 21/26, 28/38)
    29. Ice Climbers (8/26, 7/38)
    30. Diddy Kong (2/38)

H
    31. Jigglypuff (8/12, 3/12, 36/38)
    32. Mr. Game & Watch (22/26, 13/38)
    33. R.O.B. (2/38)
    34. Olimar (8/38)

Post by lil' poopie boy on Mon 22 Oct 2012, 11:58 pm

wtf what is this? i totally think youre high tyler...

Hiiiiiiiiiiigh. Hiiiiiiiiiiigh. Hiiiiiiiiiiigh.

Post by Cephalo the Pod on Tue 23 Oct 2012, 10:08 pm

Sauxuas wrote:wtf what is this? i totally think youre high tyler...
    This is my opinionated tier list of Super Smash Bros. characters according to their powers and skills from their original games. No, I'm not high.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 17 Oct 2017, 5:33 am