The Sharkasm Empire

The Sharkasm Empire is a wonderful community brought to you by the Sharks of Sharkasm

Top posting users this month

Latest topics

» "It's the door..... To the light" - The Social Thread v 2.0
Tue 12 Sep 2017, 11:16 am by TheCryptKeeper

» Where's The Beats!?
Mon 21 Aug 2017, 7:42 pm by Italyins

» Musique Lystoux
Fri 11 Aug 2017, 3:16 pm by TheCryptKeeper

» Le Cinéma
Tue 25 Jul 2017, 12:26 am by Italyins

» The TSEmpire Book Club!
Mon 24 Jul 2017, 8:28 pm by TheCryptKeeper

» The Beautiful Young Pictures thread
Mon 24 Jul 2017, 8:25 pm by TheCryptKeeper

» The Anime Thread
Fri 21 Jul 2017, 3:02 pm by Italyins

» The Collective Dream Journal
Thu 20 Jul 2017, 8:26 pm by Vyzor

» The Internet Video Discussion Thread
Thu 20 Jul 2017, 7:52 pm by Vyzor

» The Official Summer Beats Thread!
Mon 17 Jul 2017, 5:17 pm by lil' poopie boy

Weekend Hangouts with our Schlangs Out

Mon 17 Apr 2017, 12:43 pm by lil' poopie boy

Hi farm,
/
/
/
This is a notice to tell you that rob and I are reaching ST this coming weekend, the 21st, 22nd, 23rd. I expect to be greeted by downie darkos ready to hangout whilst stoking our nice long cats and dogs.
So lets lets drink poison and ingest herbal remedies for our pain, lets camp at shark mountain or in the forest by the cemetery. Lets go to olearys or celebr8 or sunset diner or …


    Pokémon

    Share
    avatar
    TheCryptKeeper
    Downie Darko

    Posts : 1985
    Reputation : 19
    Join date : 2012-08-21
    Age : 23
    Location : 4 levels up and 1 room to the left

    Re: Pokémon

    Post by TheCryptKeeper on Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:24 am

    Thank god.


    _________________
    avatar
    Cephalo the Pod
    Charles Babbage

    Posts : 1796
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-08-22
    Age : 23
    Location : Somewhere in London, jogging.

    I've read it.

    Post by Cephalo the Pod on Thu 04 Oct 2012, 2:56 pm

    I kinda forgot that BW2 is meant to be the "third" to Black and White. So this doesn't really reflect IGN's overall view on third gen like, as I had previously and foolishly assumed. Yes, for a "third", BW2 does plenty. And the single-player mode does look like a blast.

    That said, their review of BW gave those games a 9/10. That review, I have not read.


    _________________
    avatar
    TheCryptKeeper
    Downie Darko

    Posts : 1985
    Reputation : 19
    Join date : 2012-08-21
    Age : 23
    Location : 4 levels up and 1 room to the left

    Re: Pokémon

    Post by TheCryptKeeper on Thu 04 Oct 2012, 3:07 pm

    Lol as if they gave BW a better score than HGSS, that's an embarrassment to IGN.


    _________________
    avatar
    lil' poopie boy
    High Maester of Verra

    Posts : 1418
    Reputation : 18
    Join date : 2012-08-21
    Age : 23
    Location : alone in the snow

    Re: Pokémon

    Post by lil' poopie boy on Thu 04 Oct 2012, 3:55 pm

    what did hgss get?

    EDIT: jk *looks it up* toyhoy


    _________________
    avatar
    TheCryptKeeper
    Downie Darko

    Posts : 1985
    Reputation : 19
    Join date : 2012-08-21
    Age : 23
    Location : 4 levels up and 1 room to the left

    Re: Pokémon

    Post by TheCryptKeeper on Thu 04 Oct 2012, 4:14 pm

    joke eh? lol. dat red/blue/yellow score. THEY DESERVE IT!!


    _________________
    avatar
    Cephalo the Pod
    Charles Babbage

    Posts : 1796
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-08-22
    Age : 23
    Location : Somewhere in London, jogging.

    Damn, IGN loves Pokemon.

    Post by Cephalo the Pod on Thu 04 Oct 2012, 5:38 pm

    Kason Birdman wrote:joke eh? lol. dat red/blue/yellow score. THEY DESERVE IT!!
    I looked at IGN's scores for all the generations.
    Red/Blue: 10.
    Gold/Silver: 10
    Ruby/Sapphire: 9.5
    Diamond/Pearl: 8.5
    Black/White: 9.0
    Huh, so for the most part, me and IGN at least agree on the rankings of each generation. The magnitudes of the scores are debatable.


    _________________
    avatar
    Vyzor
    Journeyman From the Far East

    Posts : 1010
    Reputation : 19
    Join date : 2012-08-21
    Age : 23
    Location : 43°15.5′N 81°08′W

    Re: Pokémon

    Post by Vyzor on Sat 06 Oct 2012, 12:19 pm

    God, I hate reviewing websites like IGN. You cannot trust a single score they have because they get paid off.


    _________________
    avatar
    Cephalo the Pod
    Charles Babbage

    Posts : 1796
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-08-22
    Age : 23
    Location : Somewhere in London, jogging.

    You mean that people from across the Internet LIED TO ME?!!

    Post by Cephalo the Pod on Sun 07 Oct 2012, 12:28 am

    Vyzor wrote:God, I hate reviewing websites like IGN. You cannot trust a single score they have because they get paid off.
    Start our own site?
    Oh wait, i guess we already have a thread for that in Public Discussion.


    _________________
    avatar
    lil' poopie boy
    High Maester of Verra

    Posts : 1418
    Reputation : 18
    Join date : 2012-08-21
    Age : 23
    Location : alone in the snow

    Re: Pokémon

    Post by lil' poopie boy on Sun 07 Oct 2012, 2:35 am

    Well idk if they got paid off in 1994 duncan


    _________________
    avatar
    TheCryptKeeper
    Downie Darko

    Posts : 1985
    Reputation : 19
    Join date : 2012-08-21
    Age : 23
    Location : 4 levels up and 1 room to the left

    Re: Pokémon

    Post by TheCryptKeeper on Sun 07 Oct 2012, 11:03 am

    Lol Pokemon's scored arn't that over rated anyhow. They're the most revolutionary and creative take on RPGs and they did it in 1994.

    But still, yeah, can't trust any scores lol. I try not to look up scores now-a-days.


    _________________
    avatar
    Cephalo the Pod
    Charles Babbage

    Posts : 1796
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-08-22
    Age : 23
    Location : Somewhere in London, jogging.

    Here is your daily dose of crazy.

    Post by Cephalo the Pod on Sun 07 Oct 2012, 11:31 pm



    _________________
    avatar
    Vyzor
    Journeyman From the Far East

    Posts : 1010
    Reputation : 19
    Join date : 2012-08-21
    Age : 23
    Location : 43°15.5′N 81°08′W

    Re: Pokémon

    Post by Vyzor on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 3:07 am

    Sauxuas wrote:Well idk if they got paid off in 1994 duncan
    I wasn't talking about red/blue's scores elephant

    Like, Black/white 2 having a 9.6.....Idk......Like, way too high of a score, for ANY game. Not trying to single out Pokemon, im just saying.

    KasonBirdman wrote:Lol Pokemon's scored arn't that over rated anyhow. They're the most revolutionary and creative take on RPGs and they did it in 1994.

    Not saying Pokemon is bad or anything but this is why Pokemon is overrated in a way. Pokemon itself, is not revolutionary at all. The idea of Pokemon, catching/collecting monsters/stuff, has been done a lot. Not for games at the time, but for toys and stuff in general. The gameplay of Pokemon, isn't very revolutionary either. It's the same as all JRPG's. Types being super effective against each other was done in FF1 (like Holy against Undead enemies). Instead of having set party members, you just collect them (which is cool how there is loads of Pokemon), but that isn't too big of a deal. It's actually cheaper because you don't have to include constant character development, which means the story is lackluster since there are no important characters. Rivals and stuff aren't really that important, there not with you constantly like a party member is. It's not very different than other JRPG's. Think about how many game series are exactly like Pokemon.....I cant think of any. So, Pokemon didn't revolutionize anything. JRPG's still stayed the same.

    Sorry, even though this isn't about Red/Blue, Im just tired of Pokemon red/blue being praised so highly, like its the god of all games. Pokemon is a great series, but it's not that the series is overrated, it's red/blue. Black/White are just as good if not better cause they fixed most of the problems the older games had anyways. Pokemon has the exact same formula, over and over so it doesn't matter. Preps/n00b girls/internet wrecked red/blue for me.





    _________________
    avatar
    Cephalo the Pod
    Charles Babbage

    Posts : 1796
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-08-22
    Age : 23
    Location : Somewhere in London, jogging.

    Had a hell of a time writing this post.

    Post by Cephalo the Pod on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 10:05 am

    Vyzor wrote:
    KasonBirdman wrote:Lol Pokemon's scored arn't that over rated anyhow. They're the most revolutionary and creative take on RPGs and they did it in 1994.
    Not saying Pokemon is bad or anything but this is why Pokemon is overrated in a way. Pokemon itself, is not revolutionary at all. The idea of Pokemon, catching/collecting monsters/stuff, has been done a lot. Not for games at the time, but for toys and stuff in general.
    Yeah, but that's for toys and stuff. Developing something in a video game is pretty different from developing it in any other kind of toy. If Pokemon was the first video game to do it, I'd still consider it pretty original.
    Vyzor wrote:The gameplay of Pokemon, isn't very revolutionary either. It's the same as all JRPG's.
    You referring to the stats, how the Pokemon take turns to attack?
    Yeah, I see that.
    Vyzor wrote:Types being super effective against each other was done in FF1 (like Holy against Undead enemies).
    But was it done before to such a degree? FF has, what, the eight standard elements (fire, ice, earth, wind, water, electricity, light, darkness)? Maybe I'm forgetting something.
    Also, Pokemon had dual-types.
    Vyzor wrote:Instead of having set party members, you just collect them (which is cool how there is loads of Pokemon), but that isn't too big of a deal. It's actually cheaper because you don't have to include constant character development, which means the story is lackluster since there are no important characters. Rivals and stuff aren't really that important, there not with you constantly like a party member is.
    Okay.
    Vyzor wrote:It's not very different than other JRPG's.
    Vyzor wrote:Think about how many game series are exactly like Pokemon.....I cant think of any.
    What?
    Vyzor wrote:So, Pokemon didn't revolutionize anything. JRPG's still stayed the same.
    Ehh, revolution is not that important to me. As long as the game is fresh.
    Vyzor wrote:Sorry, even though this isn't about Red/Blue, Im just tired of Pokemon red/blue being praised so highly, like its the god of all games. Pokemon is a great series, but it's not that the series is overrated, it's red/blue. Black/White are just as good if not better cause they fixed most of the problems the older games had anyways. Pokemon has the exact same formula, over and over so it doesn't matter. Preps/n00b girls/internet wrecked red/blue for me.
    I have not played 1st gen yet, so I really should not (dis)agree with you on Red and Blue right now. But yeah, the other generations are just as good, if not better.


    _________________
    avatar
    TheCryptKeeper
    Downie Darko

    Posts : 1985
    Reputation : 19
    Join date : 2012-08-21
    Age : 23
    Location : 4 levels up and 1 room to the left

    Re: Pokémon

    Post by TheCryptKeeper on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 11:25 am

    Lol is pokemon has the exact same formula over and over then so does ff, and every other game. and anytime they change the formula people just complain. Same is true for every game series.. discluding mario for some reason.

    No other RPG had done what pokemon did. Being able to customize your party to such a degree that you can do in a 1994 game, is just ridiculous. And yeah it lacks character development, but thats not really pokemons shtick, pokemon is based off of creating your own character and story, role playing, creating personalities for everything. In a sense its more of an "RPG" than other common "RPGs".

    I can't think of a single RPG that is as radically different from the standard formula.


    _________________
    avatar
    Vyzor
    Journeyman From the Far East

    Posts : 1010
    Reputation : 19
    Join date : 2012-08-21
    Age : 23
    Location : 43°15.5′N 81°08′W

    Re: Pokémon

    Post by Vyzor on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 12:12 pm

    I know, I didn't say other series don't cookie cutter, my point was Pokemon didn't revolutionize RPG's.

    btw, Elder Scrolls 1 came out in 1994 which is waaaaaaaaaay more revolutionary than Pokemon. It changed how RPGs were seen. The amount of content was ridiculous and the gameplay was an entirely new style and not to mention it STILL had the biggest world map of all time being 4000 times bigger than Skyrim's map.

    Chrono Trigger, a game that came out in 1995, was radically different than other RPGs.

    Pokemon wasn't the only good RPG that came out in 1994,

    Earthbound
    Final Fantasy VI

    were some of the few that came out....

    Hmmmmmmmmmm, in fact Pokemon didn't come out until 1998 (1996 Japan) Neutral

    Wow, in fact, Shin Megami Tensei, a game that came out in 1992 (in Japan)was actually what Pokemon took from.

    This is straight from Wikipedia, "The game features two types of characters: Humans and Demons. A key facet of gameplay involves collecting demons. The human Hero acquires these demons via negotiation, bribing and coercion during battle. Once acquired, they can be stored in the party's portable computer and summoned for a small amount of money to be used in battle, and a constant feed of Magnetite (a secondary currency in the game) to be maintained outside of combat. If a demon is defeated during a battle, they must be revived before they can be used again.

    A notable aspect of the game is that the player can combine two or three demons and create a more powerful demon. This system is called "Akuma Gattai" which can be translated as "Demon Fusion". This system was passed on from the first game of the series, Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei and used in later installments."

    It also has type sort of thing going on, with demons being super effective against other demons.

    Look at the amount of demons you can catch: http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Shin_Megami_Tensei_Demons

    Wow actually the VERY first game in the series, Megami Tensei, came out in 1987 on Famicom. Look how much demons there are to collect to,

    http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Megami_Tensei_Demons





    _________________
    avatar
    TheCryptKeeper
    Downie Darko

    Posts : 1985
    Reputation : 19
    Join date : 2012-08-21
    Age : 23
    Location : 4 levels up and 1 room to the left

    Re: Pokémon

    Post by TheCryptKeeper on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 12:45 pm

    Wow, that game sounds freaking amazing. It's true then that most of the good things I've said about Pokemon can be passed on to that game. And wow, skyrim is so terrible, 4000 times bigger lmaaaoo.

    Elder scrolls one created a new form of character growth adventure games, I'm speaking mainly about your 2d turn based rpg (I suppose elder scrolls is somewhat a 2d turn based, but pokemon (or this demon game I suppose) added something amazing into an already well established genre without having to change the genre itself.)


    _________________
    avatar
    Vyzor
    Journeyman From the Far East

    Posts : 1010
    Reputation : 19
    Join date : 2012-08-21
    Age : 23
    Location : 43°15.5′N 81°08′W

    Re: Pokémon

    Post by Vyzor on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 1:07 pm

    Yea that's true. Ya know what, Pokemon is actually still amazing considering it has 151 pokemon to use and how much content there is, ON A FREAKING GAMEBOY! Even though Pokemon carried a lot over from Megami Tensei, Pokemon is still very original feeling at least. Like, it's art style....very original. Like is it...modern? Idk, it's cool. It is also extremely loveable, catching Pokemon and what not. Sure there isn't character development, but you definitely get attached to your Pokemon. They are a pet to you. Like you said, it is DEFINITELY, more RPG than actual most RPG's. YOU are the character.

    Btw, I think I have found THE MOST AMAZING old RPG intro ever.



    that song is wonderful, and is SOOO LONG. Not to mention, FUCKING VOICE ACTING!?!?! This is on goddamn SNES!! Final Fantasy didn't have voice acting till Final Fantasy X. 2001....when ToP had VA...1995....on SNES.


    _________________
    avatar
    TheCryptKeeper
    Downie Darko

    Posts : 1985
    Reputation : 19
    Join date : 2012-08-21
    Age : 23
    Location : 4 levels up and 1 room to the left

    Re: Pokémon

    Post by TheCryptKeeper on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 6:36 pm

    Yoooo that is sweet, I feel like there are so many hidden gems of rpgs because they all get overshadowed by pokemon and ff.

    And yeah Duncan, that is pretty much the main reason why red/blue are so amazing lol. GAME BOY. the freaking original game boy. And then we have 5th gen on DS that... truthfully hasn't made that much progress. It's kind of... scary. How they can make such a good/big game on such a weak, measly handheld.


    _________________
    avatar
    lil' poopie boy
    High Maester of Verra

    Posts : 1418
    Reputation : 18
    Join date : 2012-08-21
    Age : 23
    Location : alone in the snow

    Re: Pokémon

    Post by lil' poopie boy on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 10:10 pm

    i like pokemon too...?


    _________________
    avatar
    lil' poopie boy
    High Maester of Verra

    Posts : 1418
    Reputation : 18
    Join date : 2012-08-21
    Age : 23
    Location : alone in the snow

    Re: Pokémon

    Post by lil' poopie boy on Wed 10 Oct 2012, 6:26 pm



    _________________
    avatar
    Cephalo the Pod
    Charles Babbage

    Posts : 1796
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-08-22
    Age : 23
    Location : Somewhere in London, jogging.

    So, we need to bring fusion to Pokemon?

    Post by Cephalo the Pod on Thu 11 Oct 2012, 5:00 pm

    Vyzor wrote:btw, Elder Scrolls 1 came out in 1994 which is waaaaaaaaaay more revolutionary than Pokemon. It changed how RPGs were seen. The amount of content was ridiculous and the gameplay was an entirely new style and not to mention it STILL had the biggest world map of all time being 4000 times bigger than Skyrim's map.
    4000 times?
    That...that's the kind of statement that I just can't fully believe. Like, I totally trust what you're saying, but my mind just can't process the full magnitude of the statement.
    Vyzor wrote:Chrono Trigger, a game that came out in 1995, was radically different than other RPGs.
    Really? Because I've played several hours of CT, and I'm noticing a bunch of parallels to FFVI. Not that, that's a bad thing or anything.
    Vyzor wrote:Wow, in fact, Shin Megami Tensei, a game that came out in 1992 (in Japan)was actually what Pokemon took from.

    This is straight from Wikipedia, "The game features two types of characters: Humans and Demons. A key facet of gameplay involves collecting demons. The human Hero acquires these demons via negotiation, bribing and coercion during battle. Once acquired, they can be stored in the party's portable computer and summoned for a small amount of money to be used in battle, and a constant feed of Magnetite (a secondary currency in the game) to be maintained outside of combat. If a demon is defeated during a battle, they must be revived before they can be used again.

    A notable aspect of the game is that the player can combine two or three demons and create a more powerful demon. This system is called "Akuma Gattai" which can be translated as "Demon Fusion". This system was passed on from the first game of the series, Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei and used in later installments."

    It also has type sort of thing going on, with demons being super effective against other demons.

    Look at the amount of demons you can catch: http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Shin_Megami_Tensei_Demons

    Wow actually the VERY first game in the series, Megami Tensei, came out in 1987 on Famicom. Look how much demons there are to collect to,

    http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Megami_Tensei_Demons
    Woah. So much for Pokemon being so innovative.
    I still like it though.


    _________________
    avatar
    Cephalo the Pod
    Charles Babbage

    Posts : 1796
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-08-22
    Age : 23
    Location : Somewhere in London, jogging.

    But in ES1, can you have a beard?

    Post by Cephalo the Pod on Thu 11 Oct 2012, 5:04 pm

    Kason Birdman wrote:Wow, that game sounds freaking amazing. It's true then that most of the good things I've said about Pokemon can be passed on to that game. And wow, skyrim is so terrible, 4000 times bigger lmaaaoo.

    Elder scrolls one created a new form of character growth adventure games, I'm speaking mainly about your 2d turn based rpg (I suppose elder scrolls is somewhat a 2d turn based, but pokemon (or this demon game I suppose) added something amazing into an already well established genre without having to change the genre itself.)
    Wow, are you using that term because I did? Or is this coincidence?


    _________________
    avatar
    Cephalo the Pod
    Charles Babbage

    Posts : 1796
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-08-22
    Age : 23
    Location : Somewhere in London, jogging.

    They gave BW1 a 7.5

    Post by Cephalo the Pod on Thu 11 Oct 2012, 7:46 pm

    Sauxuas wrote:Black and White 2 have been rated by IGN boyyyss

    9.6

    http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/10/04/pokemon-black-version-2-review
    And Gamespot!
    6.5.


    _________________
    avatar
    lil' poopie boy
    High Maester of Verra

    Posts : 1418
    Reputation : 18
    Join date : 2012-08-21
    Age : 23
    Location : alone in the snow

    Re: Pokémon

    Post by lil' poopie boy on Fri 12 Oct 2012, 10:44 am

    ign > gamespot


    _________________
    avatar
    TheCryptKeeper
    Downie Darko

    Posts : 1985
    Reputation : 19
    Join date : 2012-08-21
    Age : 23
    Location : 4 levels up and 1 room to the left

    Re: Pokémon

    Post by TheCryptKeeper on Fri 12 Oct 2012, 10:51 am

    LOL 6.5! Gamespot is fucking hilarious.

    I kind of.... enjoy them a lot. First skyward sword, now this. Gotta have respect for them.


    I don't think I'm being sarcastic... but it's so hard for me to tell Sad


    _________________

    Sponsored content

    Re: Pokémon

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat 21 Oct 2017, 1:50 pm