The Sharkasm Empire

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sharkasm Empire

The Sharkasm Empire is a wonderful community brought to you by the Sharks of Sharkasm

Top posting users this month

No user

Latest topics

» Food Food Food
Pokémon     - Page 3 EmptyWed 10 Jan 2024, 3:34 pm by TheCryptKeeper

» "It's the door..... To the light" - The Social Thread v 2.0
Pokémon     - Page 3 EmptyWed 10 Jan 2024, 3:29 pm by TheCryptKeeper

» Diary of a Mac Student
Pokémon     - Page 3 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2023, 2:41 pm by TheCryptKeeper

» Arcasia: Legend of the Wolfram Emerald
Pokémon     - Page 3 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2023, 11:56 am by lil' poopie boy

» Le Cinéma
Pokémon     - Page 3 EmptyThu 20 Apr 2023, 11:08 am by TheCryptKeeper

» Ideas
Pokémon     - Page 3 EmptySat 15 Apr 2023, 8:49 am by lil' poopie boy

» Musique Lystoux
Pokémon     - Page 3 EmptyFri 14 Apr 2023, 8:59 am by TheCryptKeeper

» Through Shady Lanes
Pokémon     - Page 3 EmptyThu 13 Apr 2023, 8:26 pm by lil' poopie boy

» King of All Ratings Thread
Pokémon     - Page 3 EmptyThu 13 Apr 2023, 5:36 pm by TheCryptKeeper

» Where's The Beats!?
Pokémon     - Page 3 EmptyMon 21 Aug 2017, 7:42 pm by Italyins

+4
Vyzor
Cephalo the Pod
Italyins
lil' poopie boy
8 posters

Pokémon

TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Pokémon     - Page 3 Empty Re: Pokémon

Post by TheCryptKeeper Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:24 am

Thank god.
    Cephalo the Pod
    Cephalo the Pod
    Charles Babbage

Pokémon     - Page 3 Empty I've read it.

Post by Cephalo the Pod Thu 04 Oct 2012, 2:56 pm

I kinda forgot that BW2 is meant to be the "third" to Black and White. So this doesn't really reflect IGN's overall view on third gen like, as I had previously and foolishly assumed. Yes, for a "third", BW2 does plenty. And the single-player mode does look like a blast.

That said, their review of BW gave those games a 9/10. That review, I have not read.
    TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Thu 04 Oct 2012, 3:07 pm

Lol as if they gave BW a better score than HGSS, that's an embarrassment to IGN.
    lil' poopie boy
    lil' poopie boy
    High Maester of Verra

Post by lil' poopie boy Thu 04 Oct 2012, 3:55 pm

what did hgss get?

EDIT: jk *looks it up* toyhoy
    TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Thu 04 Oct 2012, 4:14 pm

joke eh? lol. dat red/blue/yellow score. THEY DESERVE IT!!
    Cephalo the Pod
    Cephalo the Pod
    Charles Babbage

Pokémon     - Page 3 Empty Damn, IGN loves Pokemon.

Post by Cephalo the Pod Thu 04 Oct 2012, 5:38 pm

Kason Birdman wrote:joke eh? lol. dat red/blue/yellow score. THEY DESERVE IT!!
    I looked at IGN's scores for all the generations.
    Red/Blue: 10.
    Gold/Silver: 10
    Ruby/Sapphire: 9.5
    Diamond/Pearl: 8.5
    Black/White: 9.0
    Huh, so for the most part, me and IGN at least agree on the rankings of each generation. The magnitudes of the scores are debatable.
    Vyzor
    Vyzor
    Journeyman From the Far East

Post by Vyzor Sat 06 Oct 2012, 12:19 pm

God, I hate reviewing websites like IGN. You cannot trust a single score they have because they get paid off.
    Cephalo the Pod
    Cephalo the Pod
    Charles Babbage

Pokémon     - Page 3 Empty You mean that people from across the Internet LIED TO ME?!!

Post by Cephalo the Pod Sun 07 Oct 2012, 12:28 am

Vyzor wrote:God, I hate reviewing websites like IGN. You cannot trust a single score they have because they get paid off.
    Start our own site?
    Oh wait, i guess we already have a thread for that in Public Discussion.
    lil' poopie boy
    lil' poopie boy
    High Maester of Verra

Post by lil' poopie boy Sun 07 Oct 2012, 2:35 am

Well idk if they got paid off in 1994 duncan
    TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Sun 07 Oct 2012, 11:03 am

Lol Pokemon's scored arn't that over rated anyhow. They're the most revolutionary and creative take on RPGs and they did it in 1994.

But still, yeah, can't trust any scores lol. I try not to look up scores now-a-days.
    Cephalo the Pod
    Cephalo the Pod
    Charles Babbage

Pokémon     - Page 3 Empty Here is your daily dose of crazy.

Post by Cephalo the Pod Sun 07 Oct 2012, 11:31 pm

Pokémon     - Page 3 Pokemon-facts
    Vyzor
    Vyzor

Post by Vyzor Mon 08 Oct 2012, 3:07 am

Sauxuas wrote:Well idk if they got paid off in 1994 duncan
    I wasn't talking about red/blue's scores elephant

Like, Black/white 2 having a 9.6.....Idk......Like, way too high of a score, for ANY game. Not trying to single out Pokemon, im just saying.

KasonBirdman wrote:Lol Pokemon's scored arn't that over rated anyhow. They're the most revolutionary and creative take on RPGs and they did it in 1994.

Not saying Pokemon is bad or anything but this is why Pokemon is overrated in a way. Pokemon itself, is not revolutionary at all. The idea of Pokemon, catching/collecting monsters/stuff, has been done a lot. Not for games at the time, but for toys and stuff in general. The gameplay of Pokemon, isn't very revolutionary either. It's the same as all JRPG's. Types being super effective against each other was done in FF1 (like Holy against Undead enemies). Instead of having set party members, you just collect them (which is cool how there is loads of Pokemon), but that isn't too big of a deal. It's actually cheaper because you don't have to include constant character development, which means the story is lackluster since there are no important characters. Rivals and stuff aren't really that important, there not with you constantly like a party member is. It's not very different than other JRPG's. Think about how many game series are exactly like Pokemon.....I cant think of any. So, Pokemon didn't revolutionize anything. JRPG's still stayed the same.

Sorry, even though this isn't about Red/Blue, Im just tired of Pokemon red/blue being praised so highly, like its the god of all games. Pokemon is a great series, but it's not that the series is overrated, it's red/blue. Black/White are just as good if not better cause they fixed most of the problems the older games had anyways. Pokemon has the exact same formula, over and over so it doesn't matter. Preps/n00b girls/internet wrecked red/blue for me.

Cephalo the Pod
    Cephalo the Pod
    Charles Babbage

Pokémon     - Page 3 Empty Had a hell of a time writing this post.

Post by Cephalo the Pod Mon 08 Oct 2012, 10:05 am

Vyzor wrote:
    KasonBirdman wrote:Lol Pokemon's scored arn't that over rated anyhow. They're the most revolutionary and creative take on RPGs and they did it in 1994.
    Not saying Pokemon is bad or anything but this is why Pokemon is overrated in a way. Pokemon itself, is not revolutionary at all. The idea of Pokemon, catching/collecting monsters/stuff, has been done a lot. Not for games at the time, but for toys and stuff in general.
    Yeah, but that's for toys and stuff. Developing something in a video game is pretty different from developing it in any other kind of toy. If Pokemon was the first video game to do it, I'd still consider it pretty original.
    Vyzor wrote:The gameplay of Pokemon, isn't very revolutionary either. It's the same as all JRPG's.
    You referring to the stats, how the Pokemon take turns to attack?
    Yeah, I see that.
    Vyzor wrote:Types being super effective against each other was done in FF1 (like Holy against Undead enemies).
    But was it done before to such a degree? FF has, what, the eight standard elements (fire, ice, earth, wind, water, electricity, light, darkness)? Maybe I'm forgetting something.
    Also, Pokemon had dual-types.
    Vyzor wrote:Instead of having set party members, you just collect them (which is cool how there is loads of Pokemon), but that isn't too big of a deal. It's actually cheaper because you don't have to include constant character development, which means the story is lackluster since there are no important characters. Rivals and stuff aren't really that important, there not with you constantly like a party member is.
    Okay.
    Vyzor wrote:It's not very different than other JRPG's.
    Vyzor wrote:Think about how many game series are exactly like Pokemon.....I cant think of any.
    What?
    Vyzor wrote:So, Pokemon didn't revolutionize anything. JRPG's still stayed the same.
    Ehh, revolution is not that important to me. As long as the game is fresh.
    Vyzor wrote:Sorry, even though this isn't about Red/Blue, Im just tired of Pokemon red/blue being praised so highly, like its the god of all games. Pokemon is a great series, but it's not that the series is overrated, it's red/blue. Black/White are just as good if not better cause they fixed most of the problems the older games had anyways. Pokemon has the exact same formula, over and over so it doesn't matter. Preps/n00b girls/internet wrecked red/blue for me.
    I have not played 1st gen yet, so I really should not (dis)agree with you on Red and Blue right now. But yeah, the other generations are just as good, if not better.
    TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Mon 08 Oct 2012, 11:25 am

Lol is pokemon has the exact same formula over and over then so does ff, and every other game. and anytime they change the formula people just complain. Same is true for every game series.. discluding mario for some reason.

No other RPG had done what pokemon did. Being able to customize your party to such a degree that you can do in a 1994 game, is just ridiculous. And yeah it lacks character development, but thats not really pokemons shtick, pokemon is based off of creating your own character and story, role playing, creating personalities for everything. In a sense its more of an "RPG" than other common "RPGs".

I can't think of a single RPG that is as radically different from the standard formula.
    Vyzor
    Vyzor

Post by Vyzor Mon 08 Oct 2012, 12:12 pm

I know, I didn't say other series don't cookie cutter, my point was Pokemon didn't revolutionize RPG's.

btw, Elder Scrolls 1 came out in 1994 which is waaaaaaaaaay more revolutionary than Pokemon. It changed how RPGs were seen. The amount of content was ridiculous and the gameplay was an entirely new style and not to mention it STILL had the biggest world map of all time being 4000 times bigger than Skyrim's map.

Chrono Trigger, a game that came out in 1995, was radically different than other RPGs.

Pokemon wasn't the only good RPG that came out in 1994,

Earthbound
    Final Fantasy VI

were some of the few that came out....

Hmmmmmmmmmm, in fact Pokemon didn't come out until 1998 (1996 Japan) Neutral

Wow, in fact, Shin Megami Tensei, a game that came out in 1992 (in Japan)was actually what Pokemon took from.

This is straight from Wikipedia, "The game features two types of characters: Humans and Demons. A key facet of gameplay involves collecting demons. The human Hero acquires these demons via negotiation, bribing and coercion during battle. Once acquired, they can be stored in the party's portable computer and summoned for a small amount of money to be used in battle, and a constant feed of Magnetite (a secondary currency in the game) to be maintained outside of combat. If a demon is defeated during a battle, they must be revived before they can be used again.

A notable aspect of the game is that the player can combine two or three demons and create a more powerful demon. This system is called "Akuma Gattai" which can be translated as "Demon Fusion". This system was passed on from the first game of the series, Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei and used in later installments."

It also has type sort of thing going on, with demons being super effective against other demons.

Look at the amount of demons you can catch: http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Shin_Megami_Tensei_Demons

Wow actually the VERY first game in the series, Megami Tensei, came out in 1987 on Famicom. Look how much demons there are to collect to,

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Megami_Tensei_Demons

TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Mon 08 Oct 2012, 12:45 pm

Wow, that game sounds freaking amazing. It's true then that most of the good things I've said about Pokemon can be passed on to that game. And wow, skyrim is so terrible, 4000 times bigger lmaaaoo.

Elder scrolls one created a new form of character growth adventure games, I'm speaking mainly about your 2d turn based rpg (I suppose elder scrolls is somewhat a 2d turn based, but pokemon (or this demon game I suppose) added something amazing into an already well established genre without having to change the genre itself.)
    Vyzor
    Vyzor

Post by Vyzor Mon 08 Oct 2012, 1:07 pm

Yea that's true. Ya know what, Pokemon is actually still amazing considering it has 151 pokemon to use and how much content there is, ON A FREAKING GAMEBOY! Even though Pokemon carried a lot over from Megami Tensei, Pokemon is still very original feeling at least. Like, it's art style....very original. Like is it...modern? Idk, it's cool. It is also extremely loveable, catching Pokemon and what not. Sure there isn't character development, but you definitely get attached to your Pokemon. They are a pet to you. Like you said, it is DEFINITELY, more RPG than actual most RPG's. YOU are the character.

Btw, I think I have found THE MOST AMAZING old RPG intro ever.

that song is wonderful, and is SOOO LONG. Not to mention, FUCKING VOICE ACTING!?!?! This is on goddamn SNES!! Final Fantasy didn't have voice acting till Final Fantasy X. 2001....when ToP had VA...1995....on SNES.
    TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Mon 08 Oct 2012, 6:36 pm

Yoooo that is sweet, I feel like there are so many hidden gems of rpgs because they all get overshadowed by pokemon and ff.

And yeah Duncan, that is pretty much the main reason why red/blue are so amazing lol. GAME BOY. the freaking original game boy. And then we have 5th gen on DS that... truthfully hasn't made that much progress. It's kind of... scary. How they can make such a good/big game on such a weak, measly handheld.
    lil' poopie boy
    lil' poopie boy
    High Maester of Verra

Post by lil' poopie boy Mon 08 Oct 2012, 10:10 pm

i like pokemon too...?
    lil' poopie boy
    lil' poopie boy
    High Maester of Verra

Post by lil' poopie boy Wed 10 Oct 2012, 6:26 pm

Cephalo the Pod
    Cephalo the Pod
    Charles Babbage

Pokémon     - Page 3 Empty So, we need to bring fusion to Pokemon?

Post by Cephalo the Pod Thu 11 Oct 2012, 5:00 pm

Vyzor wrote:btw, Elder Scrolls 1 came out in 1994 which is waaaaaaaaaay more revolutionary than Pokemon. It changed how RPGs were seen. The amount of content was ridiculous and the gameplay was an entirely new style and not to mention it STILL had the biggest world map of all time being 4000 times bigger than Skyrim's map.
    4000 times?
    That...that's the kind of statement that I just can't fully believe. Like, I totally trust what you're saying, but my mind just can't process the full magnitude of the statement.
    Vyzor wrote:Chrono Trigger, a game that came out in 1995, was radically different than other RPGs.
    Really? Because I've played several hours of CT, and I'm noticing a bunch of parallels to FFVI. Not that, that's a bad thing or anything.
    Vyzor wrote:Wow, in fact, Shin Megami Tensei, a game that came out in 1992 (in Japan)was actually what Pokemon took from.

This is straight from Wikipedia, "The game features two types of characters: Humans and Demons. A key facet of gameplay involves collecting demons. The human Hero acquires these demons via negotiation, bribing and coercion during battle. Once acquired, they can be stored in the party's portable computer and summoned for a small amount of money to be used in battle, and a constant feed of Magnetite (a secondary currency in the game) to be maintained outside of combat. If a demon is defeated during a battle, they must be revived before they can be used again.

A notable aspect of the game is that the player can combine two or three demons and create a more powerful demon. This system is called "Akuma Gattai" which can be translated as "Demon Fusion". This system was passed on from the first game of the series, Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei and used in later installments."

It also has type sort of thing going on, with demons being super effective against other demons.

Look at the amount of demons you can catch: http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Shin_Megami_Tensei_Demons

Wow actually the VERY first game in the series, Megami Tensei, came out in 1987 on Famicom. Look how much demons there are to collect to,

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Megami_Tensei_Demons
    Woah. So much for Pokemon being so innovative.
    I still like it though.
    Cephalo the Pod
    Cephalo the Pod
    Charles Babbage

Pokémon     - Page 3 Empty But in ES1, can you have a beard?

Post by Cephalo the Pod Thu 11 Oct 2012, 5:04 pm

Kason Birdman wrote:Wow, that game sounds freaking amazing. It's true then that most of the good things I've said about Pokemon can be passed on to that game. And wow, skyrim is so terrible, 4000 times bigger lmaaaoo.

Elder scrolls one created a new form of character growth adventure games, I'm speaking mainly about your 2d turn based rpg (I suppose elder scrolls is somewhat a 2d turn based, but pokemon (or this demon game I suppose) added something amazing into an already well established genre without having to change the genre itself.)
    Wow, are you using that term because I did? Or is this coincidence?
    Cephalo the Pod
    Cephalo the Pod
    Charles Babbage

Pokémon     - Page 3 Empty They gave BW1 a 7.5

Post by Cephalo the Pod Thu 11 Oct 2012, 7:46 pm

Sauxuas wrote:Black and White 2 have been rated by IGN boyyyss

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/10/04/pokemon-black-version-2-review
    And Gamespot!
    lil' poopie boy
    lil' poopie boy
    High Maester of Verra

Post by lil' poopie boy Fri 12 Oct 2012, 10:44 am

ign > gamespot
    TheCryptKeeper
    TheCryptKeeper
    Wolfram Knight

Post by TheCryptKeeper Fri 12 Oct 2012, 10:51 am

LOL 6.5! Gamespot is fucking hilarious.

I kind of.... enjoy them a lot. First skyward sword, now this. Gotta have respect for them.

I don't think I'm being sarcastic... but it's so hard for me to tell Sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 4:32 am